Friday 24 October 2014

What is Happiness And How Can I Achieve it?

"Thousands of Candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared."

-Buddha


How would you describe happiness?

What does it take to be happy?

I feel that these questions are difficult to answer, in fact maybe impossible. When is "happiness is a choice" ever enough. Happiness doesn't have a time scale and people go through very tough times in their lives whether it is a few days or even years. We all have our own definitions for happiness, but how can we be happy?..right now..right in this moment. We need to stop thinking happiness is based solely on achievements or posessions. Here are 7 ways you can choose happiness.

1. Being grateful. Focusing on the positive things that are happening in your life rather than the negative, can really help you realise what is more important. These grateful moments could be as big or as small as you want them to be. Write them down in a book and look back at them!

2. Treat others with respect. In other words, "Treat those how you would like to be treated." If you do nice things for people they will do nice things for you. Giving is just as important as receiving and this brings out joy in those who do.

3. Smile

4. Exercise, meditate and eat healthy. All these things can make you feel so much better about yourself. Going for a run or walk first thing in the morning can help clear your head especially when you are going through a stressful time.

5. Look forward to every day. I have recently read this blog post from Tiny Buddha, and it is all about living in the moment and looking forward to the next day. One note I have took from the blog post is to forgive. Forgiving everything can be so difficult. This is something I obviously need to work on. But doing so can put things in the past, making living the next day easier and therefore you being more happy.

6. Hold back on starting an argument. This is something I am pretty bad at. I am not saying keeping your feelings in are the best thing to do sometimes, but choosing not to create an argument can make you feel you are better!

7. Don't worry. I know pretty well how worrying and being anxious can cause us to feel overwhelmed and even stop us from doing things we want to do. I heard a while back "99% of the things we worry about, never happen", I say this every time I start letting anxiety get the better of me. Trying hard not to worry about the little things can make us feel happier within ourselves and have a more positive outlook.

Sorry for the soppy blog post. I was inspired by many blogs recently to write up a happiness post. Other than people (you) who are reading this right now, I feel like I can keep looking at this when things are getting a little rough. I hope you have enjoyed. :) If you liked this post, I have recently wrote one on ways to relax. You can view it here

What things make you happy?

No comments:

Post a Comment