Saturday 6 September 2014

That's the way the Cookie Crumbles..





I hope I have got your taste buds tingling! ;) mwahah

So recently I have been in a very "baking" mood. I have no idea whether it is the fact that Great British Bake Off has been on our screens for a few weeks now (Wednesday's 8pm BBC1) or the fact my friend Rosie keeps updating her blog with edible awesome-ness. You can check her out here.

All this aside, I decided to do some gluten and dairy free cookie research and make my own. Using "Gluten Free Cuppa Tea's" recipe, I went for it. I am not the best baker so they do not look absolutely amazing but I definitely gave it a good try, even though the majority of them stuck to the grease proof paper and crumbled like mad. Ha! These cookies were still delicious and I have ate near enough all of them since I baked them a couple of days ago. Dangerous territory I say. They are that good you wouldn't even be able to tell they are both gluten and dairy free. Oooh. 

Here's the recipe and how I adapted it to be all dairy free too if you wanted to give it a go.

Ingredients:
115g butter. I used Pure's Sunflower Spread as a dairy alternative
100g caster sugar
100g brown sugar
1 egg
190g Dove's gluten free flour
1 teaspoon of baking powder (gluten free)
3/4 teaspoon of xanthan gum (this helps everything to bind)
Tiny bit of almond milk to create a good texture
4 little bags of dairy and gluten free chocolate buttons from Morrisons! :)

Method:
1. Preheat your oven to 190 degrees and either grease a few baking trays or line them with grease proof paper.
2. Mix together the sunflower spread and sugar. 
3. Add the egg.
4. Add the flour, xanthan gum and baking powder.
5. This is where I added a bit of almond milk to give a sticky texture.
6. Add the chopped chocolate buttons or any chocolate of your choice.
7. Drop tea spoons of the mix on the trays. Make sure they are separated enough so they do not stick together once cooked.
8. Place them in the oven to cook for 8-10 minutes.
9. Leave them to cool, so they harden up and don't crumble as easily. 
10. Eat Eat Eat! :)

Do you like baking? If so, what are your favourite things to whip up in the kitchen? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment