Saturday 20 September 2014

Gluten Free Bakewell Tarts..




I LOVE bakewell tarts! Seriously..I actually have an addiction to them. As I eat gluten free, cakes and pastrys and practically everything is pricey. I don't know whether it has to do with the added ingredients to make it work or whether it is the whole process behind making them. Either way, if you are a cake lover like myself, it is difficult to afford everything. This is where I have been dying to make somethings for myself to save money and of course they DO taste better, gluten free or not. 

Pastry is a difficult thing to make end of...but with gluten free flour it is a pain in the balls (excuse my language). It is more dry and crumbles whenever you try to work with it, this is even if i chill it before hand. However after two attempts of making these, I finally have alright-ish photos for you. 

I have made a big bakewell tart before using a Phil Vickery's recipe. It is nice to know a well known chef that loves to cook gluten free! You can visit his website here with loadsaa gluten free and normal recipes. 

This time however, I wanted to make smaller ones it order to take them out and about and also I feel you make more with your ingredients. I used and adapted London Bakes recipe! I love London Bakes' blog, so be sure to check it out here

Ingredients

Pastry:

180g gluten free flour
50g ground almonds
2 teaspoons sugar
Pinch of salt
115g unsalted butter, cubed and cold (I used Pure Sunflower spread as a dairy free option)
1 egg
1-2 tablespoons ice cold water

Filling:

115g unsalted butter, softened
115g caster sugar
1 egg
115g ground almonds
Zest of a lemon
Raspberry jam or any of your choice
Flaked almonds to decorate

Instructions

1. Grease a 12 hole muffin tin. To make the pastry add the gluten free flour and ground almonds to the sugar and salt. Then add the butter and using your hands create a mixture that resembles large breadcrumbs. Add the egg and water till you create a dough. 
2. Roll the pastry and cut 12 circles out, big enough to fit in the muffin case. Trim off excess pastry and put them in the fridge to cool whilst you prepare the filling!
3. Preheat the oven to 170C. Beat together the butter and sugar till it is light and fluffy. Gradually add the egg and fold through the ground almonds and lemon zest.
4. Remove pastry cases from the fridge and add a teaspoon of jam into each one. Split the frangipane between the cases and scatter the flaked almonds on top.
5. Bake for around 15-20 minutes, making sure they don't burn (like my first lot). Remove from the oven and let cool before moving them out of the muffin tin!


And...that is it! I hope you enjoyed this little post and let me know if you have any gluten free recipes that I NEED to try out!!

No comments:

Post a Comment